IVF Treatment is a complex series of procedures used to assist couples with infertility to achieve pregnancy. It's a boon for couples when other techniques such as fertility medicines, surgery, and artificial insemination (IUI) haven't worked out.
If you think that IVF might be the best possible option for you, careful evaluation of fertility treatment clinics is mandatory before undergoing the procedure.
IVF must be done strictly by a Gynaecologist who has a fellowship in Reproductive Medicine. It should be done as per the National Guidelines. Medicover Fertility complies with ICMR (Indian Council of Medical Research) and ESHRE ()
Today, there are various options to assist people with all kinds of fertility problems. Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) includes several kinds of treatments that can assist you to get pregnant. ART uses methodologies that make it easier for you to conceive successfully. However, which option will be best for you depends on the type of infertility you have.
Health conditions in which IVF is done:
IVF (In vitro fertilisation) is intended to help patients resolve various medical causes of infertility. Fertility problems contributing to failed conception can be either in the husband or the wife. So let us find out what are such conditions in which our experienced doctors recommend IVF:
- Blocked fallopian tubes: Fallopian tube blockage makes it difficult for an egg to travel to the uterus, thereby reducing the possibility of fertilisation.
- Uterine fibroids: Fibroids are tumours in the woman's uterus, affecting the implantation of the fertilised egg.
- Ovarian malfunction: Ovarian disorders cause infrequent or absence of mature eggs favourable for fertilisation.
- Endometriosis: In endometriosis, the tissue lining the uterus begins to grow outside and impact the functioning of the ovaries, fallopian tubes and uterus.
- Male infertility: If your doctor diagnoses some issues with the morphology and quality of sperm cells.
- Unexplained infertility: Unexplained infertility means no reason for infertility is found despite a thorough work-up.
Though we know that IVF is one of the most useful forms of assisted reproductive techniques, the chances of giving birth to a healthy baby after IVF treatment depends on several factors, like:
- Maternal age. The younger you are, the more likely you are to get pregnant and give birth to a healthy baby than Women of older age.
- Embryo status. Embryos that are more developed enhance pregnancy rates compared to less-developed embryos.
- Reproductive history. Women who have given birth in the past are more likely to get pregnant using an IVF method than women who have never given birth. Also, success rates are lower for couples who've previously experienced multiple failed IVF.
- Cause of infertility. Having a normal egg supply enhances your chances of getting pregnant through IVF treatment. Moreover, women with endometriosis are less likely to conceive through IVF than women with unexplained infertility.
- Lifestyle factors. Women who smoke generally retrieves less eggs during IVF. Smoking can reduce a woman's chance of IVF success by 50%. Plus, obesity, alcohol, recreational drugs, excessive caffeine, and certain medicines can lower your chances of getting pregnant.
Causes of Infertility that IVF can treat
IVF is one of the best alternatives for couples experiencing infertility. it assists couples if they have been diagnosed with infertility causes as given below:
- Issues in the uterus or fallopian tubes
- Ovulation disorder
- Antibody issues that impact sperm or eggs
- The sperm inability to swim or survive in the cervical mucus
- Poor quality of eggs
- Low sperm count
- The genetic disease of parents
- An unexplained fertility issues
Talking to a fertility expert can help you figure out which treatments are the right option for you. Take medications as prescribed by your fertility doctor, as this help improve your chances of getting pregnant. It is advisable to consult your fertility doctor before considering any medication.